The Poker RunWarriors Against Melanoma (WAM) is a non-profit organization that is run entirely by volunteers, and it was founded by a stage 3 melanoma survivor. The group's goal is to educate people about this deadly skin cancer and also raise money to help find effective treatments and eventually a cure.
We've got your Lake of the Ozarks boat rental waiting to be reserved for this awesome event. One of our locations, Dog Days Bar & Grill, is one of the poker stops, so you'll be all set to grab your first card! The run takes place from 11 am - 6 pm, with an after-party at 7 pm.
Once you're on the water, you just need to visit one of the stops to sign up for the poker run. There is a $20 donation per hand. You will get 1 card and 1 fact about skin cancer at each stop. If you are able to produce those facts at the after-party, they will give you a free bonus card for your poker hand. For even more details, visit www.WarriorsAgainstMelanoma.com. This year's stops include:
- Dog Days Bar & Grill
- Shorty Pants Lounge & Marina
- Bulldog's Beach House Bar & Grill
- Larry's on the Lake
- Nautifish Rum Bar
- Paradise Tropical Bar
- Topsider Bar & Grill, featuring the after-party at 7 pm
Protect Your Skin While Boating
According to the Skin Cancer Foundation, melanoma is the most dangerous form of skin cancer. It is a cancerous growth that develops when unrepaired DNA damage to skin cells triggers mutations. This is most often caused by ultraviolet radiation from sunshine or tanning beds.
Melanoma is not the most common skin cancer, but it does cause the most deaths. If recognized and treated early, a cure is very likely. WAM is working hard to make sure people are aware so that more deaths can be avoided. Examine your skin regularly, and have a doctor check it out yearly. You can find the warning signs to look for at www.SkinCancer.org.
There are precautions that you can take while out on the lake to keep your skin safe.
- Wear sunscreen: A broad spectrum (UVA/UVB) sunscreen with SPF of 30 or higher should be worn when you will be outside for an extended time. Reapply it every couple of hours and after swimming or excessive sweating.
- Cover your skin: A hat is excellent for keeping the sun off of your face and scalp. UPF(Ultraviolet Protection Factor) clothing is available that keeps a large amount of UV radiation from passing through it.
- Protect your eyes: Sunglasses are a must. Polarized lenses work the best while boating to reduce glare from the water.
- Stay in the shade: The sun is at it's strongest between 10 am - 4 pm. Staying in the shade helps, but be aware that the glare from the water can bounce those rays back up to you. Don't count on clouds for shade either. 80% of the sun's harmful UV rays can still come through, even on a cloudy day.
- Don't let your skin burn: You don't have to burn to be at risk for skin cancer, but when you do, your chances increase.
Make plans to join in the fun of the Warriors Against Melanoma Poker Run on August 13, and while you're at it, make a plan to keep your skin safe while out on the water. BomBay Boat Rental Co. is ready to get you out there in one of our boat or jet ski rentals at the Lake of the Ozarks, and we want you and your skin to be safe while you're cruising.
BETTER PRODUCT, BETTER PRICES, BETTER PEOPLE!