To guarantee that you have the best day ever on the water, it's extremely important that you keep yourself and those around you safe. Here are a few wave runner safety tips to guarantee that you are around to play another day.
TOP 10 TIPS FOR WAVE RUNNER SAFETY:
- Always wear a coast guard approved life jacket.
- This will keep your head above water in case of an accident. It's also a good idea to attach a whistle to your vest so that you can summon help and alert other boat traffic that you are in the water.
- If you fall off, the key attached to the safety lanyard will come with you so that the engine will stop. Forget to do this and you could end up with a long swim to shore!
- PWCs (and boats) do NOT have brakes. Your best offense is to drive defensively. Stay aware of your surroundings and take action early if you need to avoid a collision or come to a stop.
- Keep an eye on each other so that you can act quickly if the other rider is in need of assistance. If you must ride alone, it is wise to keep your home base in sight.
- If you run out of gas, you are stuck until help arrives to tow you in.
- In the event that you do run out of gas, or get stuck in any other way, it is wise to have a cell phone with you to call for help. Waterproof cell phone cases/containers are available to keep your phone dry.
- Loose items, such as long hair, clothing, PFD straps..., can get caught in the moving parts.
- Water &/or any type of debris coming out of the jet thrust nozzle can seriously injure someone.
- Know the area that you will be traveling in; where it's safe to be, where you should avoid, and how to recognize these spots. Also, it's good to know how to safely remove anything that gets stuck in the impellor. Even the most watchful eye can easily run over something small.
- Drinking alcohol will impair your judgement and slow your reflexes, putting both you and those on the water around you in unnecessary danger.
BomBay Boat Rentals excellent staff can give you the answers to any questions that you have about the wave runner itself, the area you will be traveling in, and any other tips that can keep you safe out there. You can access Missouri's Official Boater Safety Education Course and be in the water in just a few hours.
Our PWCs rent by the hour, by the day, or even by the week. Is that not enough time for you? Then you should join our wave runner club for UNLIMITED riding! Memberships last April through September, and we offer a few different options: weekdays, 7 days, and family or shared plans. Call 1-573-348-3433 today and ask for Jason, or visit our website to request more information online about all of our Lake of the Ozarks boat and jet ski rental options.